The Town of Murray formed from the larger Town of Northampton in 1812. It was originally part of Monroe County and included land that is now in the Towns of Kendall, Clarendon, Hamlin (formerly Union), Clarkson and Sweden. The Town’s namesake is John Murray, a merchant from New York City and a large landowner in the Town. By 1826 Orleans County had separated from Genesee County. By 1837, the other Towns were incorporated separately and the Town of Murray’s current dimensions were set.
In 1814, the NYS Legislature appropriated funds to improve Ridge Road between the Genesee River and Fort Niagara. Before the Erie Canal opened, Ridge Road was the main transportation corridor through the region.
- In the early 1900s, the Wesendorf House was a hotel located on the southwest corner of the “Million Dollar Highway” (Route 31) and Fancher Road. The building was moved to the east side of the road when the right angle intersection was removed and Route 31 was realigned to incorporate the “Fancher bend.”
- The Pierce Farm on Route 31 west of Hulberton Road was constructed in 1828. It remained in the Pierce family through the early 1900s.